Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Sounding The Silent Alarm...

     Well, it seems it wasn't enough to simply have an "external" MS Awareness Week...my own personal MS pal appears to be trying to pay me another visit and I'm trying to figure out how to just NOT answer its knock on my door!

     I haven't been writing much about my own MS these past few weeks because...well, frankly...I've been feeling pretty dayumed good!  You know the old saying?  Out of sight, out of mind...

     Dr. She Who Will Not Be Named has been tooting her own horn, taking full credit for what has been a remarkable recovery over the past 3 weeks.  She believes this rapid turn around of events has been solely because of the Novantrone...and, of course, her brilliance!  (And I really can't argue with EITHER reasoning!)  I, on the other hand, remain skeptical and believe most likely my "flight into wellness" has had something to do with a combination of global warming, hormonal shifts, incantations, and planetary alignments.  LOL

     I have enjoyed an absolutely wonderful couple of weeks with only very minor MS symptoms...I suppose to some a numb left side of the face, vertigo if looking up, and a tightness around the waist would not be "minor", but to me those symptoms are no more than a gnat's bite on the arse!  Considering how incredibly miserable I have felt for nearly a year up until 3 weeks ago, those "base" symptoms are just a slight annoyance.  And, I have been walking without any assistance and feeling a "bounce" in my step again...which I think has actually FRIGHTENED several people in my life recently!  LOL

     Unfortunately, the past several nights I have been plagued with insomnia (which is NOT an unusual occurrence for me).  I have also been working very long and hard hours at my job (just the nature of my schedule right now).  I began to notice a tightening in my calves again two days ago, but as is typical for me, made the decision to ignore it and "push" a bit harder.  Last night, I could barely get my lower extremities to uncurl from under my chair after sitting for several minutes.  And this morning, I once again "forgot" my legs might be stiff when I tried to get out of bed, and did my all too familiar World Wrestling Federation slam to the wall/floor!  It is fortunate I am never injured from these "events" (minus a bruise here or there) AND extreme good luck I am almost always entertained by this...one should ALWAYS laugh heartily to release those endorphins at times like these...it's quicker pain relief than a shot of morphine.  LOL

     So...the ol' MS is trying to weasel its way into my "awareness" again and I am very displeased by the distraction...not angry or scared as would have been my typical response this past year...just watchful.  I've had such a fabulous past 3 weeks, it will take far more than a set of "log legs" to steal my joy!  I'm hoping if I can FORCE myself into more restful slumber (this usually requires a large hammer or medications) in the next few days, I may be able to ward off this MS visit...I do think when I am very tired, I am just more vulnerable to attack.  MS is kind of like unwanted relatives who decide the "best" time to come visit you is after a post surgical procedure in the hospital...when you CAN'T get away from them!

     For now, I'll just keep an eye on my little friend and try to do the things I know to do that might deter it (MS) from staying.  Gawd knows, if this visit were based on the condition of the hut right now (as I said, I've been a bit busy and not paying much attention to my home...give me a break people!), no "visitor" in their right mind would stick around for very long for fear of contracting a "health hazard illness"...LOL...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing that you have been walking without assistance for 3 weeks.   Are you driving as well?   Sounds like you are in tune with your ms/body alerts by now--knock yourself out tonight with whatever pharmaceuticals you have!  

Anonymous said...

Idon't understand all the ramifications of MS.  I applaud you for your tenacity and positive outlook.  There, but for the Grace of God go I....
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is not MS, but rather, your body fighting back after and extended period of (mis/dis)use?  You cannot go from a 10 year coma to competing in American Gladiators overnight!