Sunday, July 9, 2006

Trying To Jump Back In The Groove...From The Deep Rut...

     I just got back from a 1.5 mile walk/stroll/stumble/cardiac event...I decided it is time I try to get moving again and start oiling up the ol' muscles and bones with some good old fashioned exercise.  It's been nearly 4 months since I've attempted ANYTHING remotely physical, except yard work...it's been 4 months since my last relapse came to pay me a visit and stay on awhile.

     I woke up this morning a bit disappointed I only had 3 bees in the house...even the bees are moving on with their lives.  I assumed this might be a "sign" I should attempt to do the same...get my arse in gear and stop using my MS as an excuse to remain inactive.

     Now, don't get me wrong...I have NEEDED to be a bit inactive these past 4 months just to maintain enough strength and energy to complete necessary daily tasks such as working and other survival skills.  My body has NOT been cooperative with me...it has been calling the shots.

     I don't often know how to determine when inactivity becomes pure, detrimental inertia and when inactivity is serving a healing purpose.  I just know today seemed like a good day to test myself with a bit of exercise and see where it takes me...all the signs told me "go for a walk" so I did.  I am hoping this is just the beginning of a return to many more positive steps toward my flight into wellness...I just don't "do" sickness all that well and would like some sort of energy back to do some fun stuff.  It's summer in Seattle after all...and it's a beautiful one at that!

     I still have plans to walk the Seattle Half Marathon in November this year.  I've walked 3 of them in the past, but have had to skip the last two years because of MS problems.  It's a 13.1 mile walk through the hills and streets of Seattle...I have discovered it is not necessarily the 13 miles that are the killer, but the final .1 mile that nearly does me in! LOL  I figure if I start my "training" now (which consists of walking several distance walks...but no real dietary changes...don't worry!), I might just make it by November.  A few of my friends plan to go with me, so that is even more incentive to get off my butt and get moving...MS willing.

     I'll keep you posted on my progress (or lack of it!) in the next few months.  It's just something I feel I NEED to do again just to say I could/can...I'm sure y'all have goals like that in your lives, too.  Multiple Sclerosis does that to us...we either become determined or we die.  

     Three cheers for the determined... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I applaud your 1.5 mile event.  I realized last week I needed to get back into the habit of daily exercise, so last week I started getting back on the eliptical trainer religiously...starting with 5 minutes a day and adding a minute to build up to at least 30 minutes daily.  Today was the first day of 6 minutes and started tomorrow I will add a walk around the neighborhood.  It is more strenuous than it sounds given the heat in good o' Texas.  Actually I am in training for that march on D.C. I think we MSers should organize!!!!