Thursday, February 15, 2007

Opinions Are Like Bellybuttons...

     The title of this post?  Well, it's another "Peg-ism"...a well-worn saying my mother used to use often when hearing something she didn't like!  The actual quote she would repeat is, "Opinions are like bellybuttons...everybody has one!"  (And yes, that photo really IS of a bellybutton!)

     It wasn't until much later in life I heard my mother's famous quote change.  And I had no idea SHE had actually changed the saying to begin with!  What I heard "other" mature (?) people saying was, "Opinions are like A-holes...everybody has one."

     Now, seeing as how my mother wouldn't say "crap" even if she had a mouthful of it (yet another Pegism!), I can understand her wanting to change that three-lettered word (the other name for a donkey) into something much more palatable!  But I really think the original saying is just much more "on target"...I mean, how offensive IS a bellybutton anyway?!?

     So, in an effort to stay with the spirit of this post (because ALL of my posts are so "spiritful"  LOL), I'd like to take this opportunity to join the ranks of the A-holes and offer my opinion about OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS!!!I'm talking about this mornings addition of the sacbee.com...here's the link if you're interested:  http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/123962.html .

     You may recall (or not) yesterday's post about the Sacramento Mayor, Heather Fargo, announcing she has had MS for the past 10 years?  And if you don't "recall" it, go read the post again...I'm not your mother...there will be no spoon feeding here!  LOL  Anyway, I digress...

     The above linked article is a more detailed explanation and interview about WHY Mayor Fargo has chosen to come out of the MS closet at this time.  It seems she has recently had her diagnosis changed from Relapsing and Remitting MS to Secondary Progressive MS and sheis apparently having greater difficulty with her symptoms.

     I am not one who usually READS the comment sections of web articles or newspapers (I DO read the comment section of blogs, however!) because...well...opinions ARE like A-holes and I'm not all that interested in someone else's opinion!  LOL  I'm too busy with my own.  But, I DID happen upon the opinions in the sacbee.com section of today's article...and I was just blown away.

     It seems there are constituents from the fine city of Sacramento who think Mayor Fargo is simply using her MS for political gain.  Now...(taking a deep breath) I am not from Sacramento and had never even heard of Mayor Fargo until yesterday, so I really have no basis to dispute any of her past politics or decisions as a mayor.  She may rule as a dictator for all I know.  But, our common denominator together is this:  WE BOTH HAVE MS.

     So, in defense of MS and NOT MAYOR FARGO, I say this:  Leave it to you simple-minded, arrogant, pinheaded, malicious, off-base, maligning, antagonistic, pathetic, self-righteous, A-HOLES to assert that someone with MS would USE THE DISEASE FOR POLITICAL GAIN!!!  Like she had/has a choice to "use" it at all?!?  MS is not some kind of garment that can be worn when convenient and changed out of when one doesn't feel like wearing it, you silly cows!  Once it (MS) is here, it's here to stay.  The fact she chose not to reveal her condition until now SHOULD speak more to our society's lack of acceptance of disabilities/disease than as a political manipulation.  And your pretentious claim to "know" why and when someone with MS chooses to disclose their status only speaks to your FLAMING IGNORANCE!  YOU are the very reason I would choose to stay in a MS closet, my ill-informed foes.

     There...I definitely feel better.  And I fully accept my place in the opinionated A-Hole Hall of Fame...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! (Sheesh... some people's kids!!)

Now, I just have to say, that picture of the bellybutton? Really kinda disturbing. Seriously, I thoguht it was a mutated nipple.

Just goes to show where my mind is. :-P OK, back to work!
~Zee

Anonymous said...

standing on your soapbox and clapping.....
Becky

Anonymous said...

now, as I clicked send, that sounded bad....I just meant I whole hearted agree...and want to make that my opinion too
Becky

Anonymous said...

Having nothing better to do, i looked up the sight and read the letters to the editor regarding the woman mayor's MS--I have been disabled for along time and thought i had heard everything, but i was shocked!  Such nastiness and ignorance!  It is certainly worth the time to write her an encouraging letter of support to continue with her work and desire to educate the public about MS.