Sunday, June 4, 2006

It's The Little Things...

     I finally got around to replacing a sensor in the outside porch lamp of my duplex.  I know this may not sound like a big deal to most, but it was a REALLY big deal to me!

     First of all, I didn't know if it was even a possibility electrically to take apart the lamp and wire in a new sensor...I wasn't trained in electronics, except by trial and error experience.  And I have had one too many "errors" in my experience, blowing out fuses, bulbs, and shocking the living hell out of myself on occasion.  I wasn't exactly jumping up and down to take on this task.  But I WAS too cheap to hire an electrician, so...

     The sensor has been burned out now for weeks.  Having no external door lighting has made keying the doors to unlock them a blinding event...one I'm sure Helen Keller would have been humored to observe had she been able to "see" my fumbling with the locks!

     I've put off tackling this distasteful job for several reasons, but front and center on my list has been my need to pout in my MS.  After all, the pain in my arms has seemed unbearable at times, my brain has had difficulty focusing on the simplest of directions, and frankly, I just DIDN'T WANT TO DO IT!  That's right...I played the MS Card.  I threw the MS Card gimpishly on the table as my excuse not to at least "try" to get this job done and I pouted my way out of it.

     Today I was reminded I still am functional and CAN do many of the things I sometimes try to say I can't.  The directions were a bit challenging to decipher, but the entire task didn't take more than 15 minutes once I figured out what I was trying to accomplish.  My newly installed Dusk to Dawn light sensor is working now without flaw.

     I've noticed lately I've been pretty quick to play the MS Card when I'm challenged.  It's a nice excuse.  It's a necessity at times when I need to say "no" and rest.  But some of the time it is simply a means of saying, "I'm too scared to do that", without ever having to say the words out loud.

     Thank goodness the Function Card trumps the MS Card on occasion or I'd never leave my house...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

having recently discovered your writings about ms, i spent some time today reading your former writings.   I have ms too and now i am too tired to write anything at all!!   Be back soon