Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Just A Warm Thought...

     Today, I am a person of few words...which for those of you who know me, please do not panic!  I'm fine...just not my usual verbose self.

     I decided to send you flowers today and share the beautiful bouquet my dearest friend, E.B., brought me this past week.  I am so lucky to have such wonderful friends and supportive people in my life.

     I'm also going to share with you the words of Mary Oliver, a gifted poet and painter with words.  We can all use a little inspiration now and then:

The Journey

One day you finally knew

what you had to do, and began,

though the voices around you

kept shouting

their bad advice--

though the whole house

began to tremble

and you felt the old tug

at your ankles.

"Mend my life!"

each voice cried.

But you didn't stop.

You knew what you had to do,

though the wind pried

at the very foundations--

though their melancholy

was terrible.

It was already late

enough, and a wild night,

and the road full of fallen

branches and stones.

But little by little,

as you left their voices behind,

the stars began to burn

through the sheets of clouds,

and there was a new voice,

which you slowly

recognized as your own,

that kept you company

as you strode deeper and deeper

into to the world,

determined to do

the only thing you could do--

determined to save

the only life you could save.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                           

 

    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow....absolutely beautiful words!!  Thanks for sharing them!!